8/10/2018

August 10, 2018 Movie Review: VERTIGO

Miami 英会話

www.miamieikaiwa.jp

クラスありますよー。

8月11-15日、25日は休みです。
Please study English at your home on those days.

**********************


MOVIE REVIEW: VERTIGO

Key words & Phrases

  • vertigo - dizziness and loss of balance
  • dizzy - feeling like the world is spinning around you.
  • spoiler - information about the plot of the movie.
  • acrophobia - a fear of heights
  • gratuitous violence scene - a scene in a movie that shows violence just to make the people watching the movie happy even though the scene is not necessary for the story of the movie.

Easy part 簡単 You can do it!


The other day in the movie class we watched a movie called "Vertigo". Vertigo is a feeling of dizziness and loss of balance.  Usually people just say "I feel dizzy", but some people who have a disease that causes them to feel dizzy say "I have vertigo".

I was disappointed in the movie because spoilers were revealed in the middle of the movie and I didn't like the ending.

Hard part チャレンジ  Give it your best shot!


ブログを聞きましょう。
Click here to listen.

The other day in the Miami Movie Class (every Wednesday from 2:15pm), we watched clips from an old movie titled, "Vertigo".  It was an old Hitchcock movie which I had never watched before. However, after watching parts of it in class, I thought I wanted to see the movie in its entirety. I like the old movies. The dialogue is much more interesting than modern movies, and without so many distractions, explosions, gratuitous sex and violence scenes, and of course, someone shouting, "OH, MY GOD!!!".

However....I was disappointed in the movie.  First of all, isn't it unrealistic that they fell in love so quickly?? I thought how could such a beautiful young girl fall in love with him anyway?  Secondly, I don't like the way Hitchcock spilled the beans and revealed everything in the middle of the movie. I am talking about when the girl was writing the letter, and she openly explained that it was all a planned murder. It would have been so much better if instead, she had revealed that on the stairs of the church at the end of the movie.  Finally, why did she jump???? I don't get it. I googled it and people had many different answers, but none of them are satisfying to me.

I give this movie a 7/10.
Thank-you for reading my blog! If you like it, please copy the link below and share it with your friends!





5 件のコメント:

  1. Sorry about the spoilers.
    I saw Vertigo long time ago, and I don’t remember the plot at all . Just remember Kim Novak. She has mysterious atmosphere and looked very mature for me .
    James Stuart is like a representative of typical American good nice guy , isn’t he?
    In 「rear window」he is in with Grace Carrie. Once I tried to study English through this movie. However the dialogues were spoken so fast that I barely catch up those words. And I gave up . At your movie class you explained about their ( actors and actresses in some Hollywood movies ) way of speech ; mid-atrantic
    Speech . Thank you ,John. I’m going to check
    This accent in Google. My favorite another Hitchcock movie is Rebecca .

    返信削除
    返信
    1. I love James Stuart. My favorite movie of his is "It's a wonderful life". The trans-Atlantic accent is interesting to me because it is not native to anyplace in the world. It is a made-up accent. Here is an article about it in Japanese ---> https://goo.gl/PiZDBZ

      削除
  2. このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Thanks for the info.
      Watching old Hollywood movies I would think
      Why that handsome Cary Grant speaks so fast , what’s in a hurry ? Or what is it that irritates him so badly ? I preferred Gary Cooper . I don’t think he speaks that fast in the screen , or he does?
      I should check it out .

      削除
    2. このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。

      削除