6/08/2018

June 8,2018 Flashback - Boy Scout

クラスありますよー。


Click here to listen.

Key words and phrases:

Flashback
to be grounded
to yell at someone
to memorize
to look sharp

Today is "Flashback Friday". A flashback is a memory of the past. For example, if you go to the store to buy a watermelon, and suddenly you remember the time when you were a child and you dropped a huge watermelon on the carpet and then your mother yelled at you and grounded you for a week, you had a "flashback".

The other day, as I was looking at some Japanese schoolchildren in their uniforms, I had a flashback of when I was a boy scout. I really enjoyed wearing a uniform. Perhaps it was because American schoolchildren don't wear uniforms, and so this was my only chance. I think I looked quite sharp! As a boy scout, I had to memorize an oath which I amazingly still remember to this day.

By the way, check out the ancient TV in the background. Ha!

Have a fabulous day!


7 件のコメント:

  1. "to be grounded" and "to look sharp",both of them were out of
    mind.I have learned a lot thank to MiamiToday.I wish Miami Academy could be forever.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Thank-you for your comment! I like the sound of "Miami Academy". Please tell your friends! Have a great afternoon!

      削除
  2. There seems to be quite differences between U.S schools and Japanese one’s , such as School bus , uniforms ... .
    And Oath . As far as I remember I have never made any path so far .
    Maybe in boy/Girl Scout , there is even in Japan . At a wedding ceremony I did ? Mine was by Shinto Style , I don’t recall any word I speak out.
    I bought a book about American elementary school textbooks.
    In the book I found an orth for kids and their parents, which 1st grade kids have to memorize.
    It stars like this . I pledge allegiance to the frag of United States of America and to the Republic
    for which it stands , one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all .”
    What an noble and lofty concept !
    格調高いと言いたいのですが。
    Anyway I want (need)to start learning English from American elementary school level.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. YEA! I just had another flashback of saying the pledge of allegiance in school everyday. There was always a small fLag hanging next to the blackboard.n We had to say it from 1st grade all the way to 12th grade.

      Maybe I will write more about American Culture. Thanks for giving me a flashback!

      削除
  3. 訂正
    ...one’s ➡︎ones
    ...path ➡︎oath
    ... speak out ➡︎Spoke out
    There must be more mistakes in my writing.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Yes, many mistakes. :) But I'm proud of you for writing anyway. Good job! No rain, no rainbows! I think many people are afraid of writing because they don't want to show their mistakes. Maybe I should write my blog in Japanese so that everyone can see how many mistakes I can make. What do you think?

      削除
  4. I couldn’t agree with you more . We could learn more out of mistakes . Still embarrassing though.
    How difficult it is to put my thought , feelings, ideas and simple facts I found into words !
    Even into Japanese . In that point you’re a really good writer . I am learning a lot from your writings . I would appreciate if you correct my mistakes .
    ジョンさんの日本語ブログ... いいですねー❤️Of course i’m one of those being afraid of making mistakes ! I’m not an iron woman .

    返信削除