1/22/2019

January 22, 2019 What Japan can teach the world

クラスありますよー😀
*********************

What Japan Can Teach the World

*********************
Click here to listen. FAST

ブログを聞きましょう。
Click here to listen. SLOW

**********************
Are you ready for today's fantabulous English blog?

New words & phrases:
  1. come to mind
  2. virtue
  3. the jewel of....
  4. humility
  5. ancient
Let's get started!

When you think of teaching Japanese culture to foreigners, what comes to mind?  I think on the surface, when people think of Japanese culture they imagine cosplay, animation, sushi, samurai, and ninja.  Images of old Kyoto and Kamakura come to mind.

As for me, I think Japanese culture is much deeper than that.  The jewel of Japanese culture, I think, is found in the heart of Japanese.  Since I have come to Japan, I think that my character and spirit has changed a lot, thanks to Japanese people.  Virtues such as humility, compassion, kindness, dedication,  service, along with a sense of stoicness, are all part of Japanese character. In my opinion, the world could benefit not by learning about the ancient samurai, but by knowing the heart of the Japanese.
これからもよろしくお願いします。

Have a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful day!
**********************************
ブログをお読みいだだきありがとうございます。
気に入った方は下記リンクをコピーして、友人と共有してくだい!



11 件のコメント:

  1. I agree with John. When I teach Japanese, I tell not only words but also what are in the backgrounds. At the same time, teachers will also learn the backgrounds from the students.
    I would like to cherish the humility of the Japanese, but I think that it's necessary not only to learn English but also to have an opinion and to have will for telling it to the other person. In order to make it passable in the English world.

    返信削除
  2. That's a good point. What is the use of learning another language if you don't have the courage to speak up?

    返信削除
  3. Humility , 謙虚さ
    When we learn something , attitude with humility
    get us to make more progress, I think.
    That is to say , the more I study the more I should know how little I’ve known about the thing that I am engaging in .
    Knowing how little I am . But it also means how big supprise or pleasure is on the way .
    Learning languages is maybe knowing people who use those languages.
    取り止めがなくてすみません。


    返信削除
    返信
    1. In Japan, it seems that people who are really good at something are often the most humble. For example, many of my students whom I think are rather good speakers, often say "I can't speak English".

      削除
  4. このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。

    返信削除
  5. I had posted New words and Phrases in Japanese earlier , but it’s still missing .
    So I’ll try again .

    1. Come to mind 思いつく、こころ(頭)にうか
    ぶ。(ここでは二回使われてい
    ます)
    2. Vertue 美徳

    3. the jewel of ....の宝石 (一番美しいもの、
    価値のあるもの)

    4. Humility 謙虚さ

    Compassion 情
    ( 同情と対応する語としてsympathy やpity が
    ありますが、compassion はhelp する気持ちがあるようです)

    Service. 勤労
    ( それともお店などのサービスの良さか
    な)
    Dedication 献身
    Sense of stoicness どうも英語でstoic は禁欲と
    は違うニュアンスがあるようで
    冷静さとか平静心とか
    5. Ancient. 古代の•昔の







    返信削除
  6. Yeah , You said it !
    When it comes to speaking English , we Japanese often says that .
    First thing I was surprised when I started English
    , was the phrase “ I’m proud of ... “
    We are taught that “ do not praise own child or whoever in our family to other people “
    It’s not good to show affection in public, either
    Those unspoken manner made me uncomfortable
    Sometime.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. Actually, it was quite shocking to me when I first came to Japan and I heard Japanese men say "My wife is not beautiful at all",or my son is not very good at sports at all, etc. In America, it is the opposite. People are always talking about how great they are, how wonderful their family is, etc. Pride is considered a virtue. People think if you don't have pride, then you have low self-esteem, which means you are weak.

      削除
  7. I think that is another virtue in your country .
    And in English drama ,sometimes I find a sense of humor or joke in conversation eases a tough situation . I like that very much.
    On the other hand , shouting / expressing yourself
    Pretty freely , l wished I could be like them .
    Being patient , not to make scene were expected around my childhood.

    返信削除
  8. このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。

    返信削除